Thursday, February 24, 2011

Professors

I definitely feel there are many types of professors out there and it may be impossible to come up with enough categories to fit them all into. The ones listed in this story are deifinitely some good ones that I have encountered in my three years in college. The buddy professor is one that I am experiencing this semester along with a new category I like to call the flake professor.

My buddy professor is my Sociology teacher. She told us from day one that she made besties in her class and that we should strive to be her bestie because there were perks to being one. She is always talking with us as if we are friends instead of students. She curses a lot in class and doesn't mind if the staudents either. She does teach us, but discussions can get off topic with story telling. Our first test was pushed back a whole week because we didn't cover the material in the time we were supposed to. We always start Monday classes with talking about our weekends, also. She is a nice and wonderful lady, but we do get off topic quite a bit from her trying to be our buddy.

My flake professor is my nutrition teacher. When I use the word flaky I mean more unprepared than anything. She has a very busy life with kids and another job which is understandable. However being forty minutes late on test day is a little crazy and when you sent out a review sheet, that didn;t have enough information on it, only hours before the test it makes you seem very unreliable. Most students in this class also felt they were vastly unprepared for this test because of inadequate teaching. Our teacher promised us in the beginning of the class powerpoints with blanks to fill in during lectures that would always be posted online the day before class and has hardly ever made that on time and has several times had to post these powerpoints after the class was over.

It would be helpful for these teachers to probably change things slightly, but they are who they are. We students will encounter many different professors in our time at college and you really must be ready for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment